Ministry of Minority Affairs is the nodal ministry to conduct Haj pilgrimage in India. Haj pilgrimage for the Indian Pilgrims is conducted either through Haj Committee of India (HCoI), which is a statutory organization under the administrative control of Ministry of Minority Affairs or through the Haj Group Organisers (HGOs) dully approved by Ministry.
The work related to Management of Haj Pilgrimage, including administration of the Haj Committee Act, 1959 (51 of 1959) and the rules made thereunder has been transferred from Ministry of External Affairs to Ministry of Minority Affairs from 1st October, 2016. Accordingly, Haj Division manages the Haj work in coordination with Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Civil Aviation, Haj Committee of India (HCoI) and Consulate General of India (CGI), Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The Haj Division looks after the following works:
- Overall coordination with Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Civil Aviation, Haj Committee of India (HCoI) and supervision of Air Charter Operations for smooth conduct of Haj pilgrimage.
- All the matters related to Haj Committee of India and administration of the Haj Committee Act, 2002.
- Necessary approvals to the Haj related proposals of CGI, Jeddah.
- Supply of Medicines/ Medical equipmentâ€™s for the hospitals/ dispensaries set up by CGI, Jeddah for the welfare of pilgrims during the Haj period.
- Selection of Deputationists (Administrative and Medical/ Paramedical Staff) on short term deputation to CGI, Jeddah.
- Registration of Private Tour Operators (PTOs) & Allocation of Haj Quota to PTOs.
- Reply to RTIs, Parliament Questions and Court cases on Haj Matters.
All India Network of State